So if you are following me on Instagram – Leitchycreates, you will know that I’ve just been to Spain with my Mum and Dad. Me being the health guru I am, decided it would be a good idea to order some new and old favourite snacks from Planet Organic for me to take on my jols. I knew for a fact where we were staying, there wouldn’t be any health shops, the only snacks I’d be able to find would be ice creams, chocolate bars and crisps. Which is fine for some, I mean if you like that sort of food, you’re on holiday and are allowed to splurge, treat your self and relax, but me personally find those sorts of foods upset my stomach, make me feel grotty and I’m generally not a nice person after eating them. So its better for everyone if I come prepared…
Now I know theres people who like me suffer with IBS, want to feel their best and don’t always know where to shop or which snacks contain whole food ingredients and not a million ingredients which you’ve never heard of but still claim to be healthy. If there’s more than 10 ingredients/you don’t know what the ingredients are, then its not a good idea and its best to put it down, be safe and buy something else.
I’ve gathered together all the snacks I took on holiday and luckily, even the ones I hadn’t tried before tasted amazing so I thought I’d share them with you guys, that way you can try them too.
I’m not saying these are my favourite snacks, I’ll do another post on my favourites because they will mainly contain chocolate and I couldn’t take chocolate away because I knew it would melt (I say melt, we had one hot day but still!) Don’t get me wrong, I love a bit of melted chocolate in my life! But not whilst I’m running through an airport or sat on a beach..
- Lets start with the fabulous Squirrel Sisters snack bars. For one, they have the most beautiful packaging ever! Covered in squirrels and the main ingredient they contain (coconuts), different cute colours and inside the two little bars come in a cute little tray which you can just pop on your desk whilst you get on with work/pop on your sun lounger and snack away as you please. I’ve tried the coconut cashew bar and the raspberry ripple bar and they have both been yummy! They are raw, which means they only contain whole food ingredients and that they are suitable for vegans. For example this coconut cashew bar contains coconut, cashews (obviously), dates, sultanas, almonds and sunflower seeds. Thats it! Just honestly healthy ingredients! I also like how there are two bars when you open it up, it means you can save one for later (if you have any self control! Me however, nada…) They also have a cacao orange and a cacao brownie bar in their range.
- Selwyn’s seaweed snack packs! You can order these little packs from Planet Organic but you can also order them from Ocado! Which I find super useful as I can order them with the rest of the food shop. I’ve tried their coconut and chilli pack and their honey and sesame. They are both delicious! Heads up, they aren’t a filling snack! They are very small servings. I ate them on the way to meals to keep me going for 5 minutes or because I suffer with low blood pressure, I found them useful as they contain salt, to stop me from feeling light headed. So If you too get light headed quickly, give them a bash! They’re cheap and they do the job. I imagine they’d also be good in a Japanese salad or as a little table snack before a meal or to keep you going for five minutes whilst you cook your dinner.
- Next up Saf. I’ve tried both of their raw granola bags and I’ve been impressed with each. I’d say the nutty apple granola was my favourite but I do love both! They contain 3 servings (enough for 1 or 2 as a topping) I like mine with yogurt and fruit or just eaten straight out the bag when travelling! A good breakfast for the plane! I tend to travel early in the morning so these are great to eat on the plane or in the car. I’ve also found it’s near enough impossible to find granola/cereals that aren’t packed full of sugar and additives, amongst other things. These again only contain raw ingredients and again are suitable for vegans.
- An all time favourite of mine which I just keep coming back to are Raw Gorilla munchies! Grain free cereals/snacks that are plant based, paleo, organic, sprouted and yummy. I enjoy these again with fruit or granola or as a mid morning/afternoon snack. My favourite flavour is the pink pack which is their raw maca and cinnamon pack but again they are both delicious and I recommend them both. I’m yet to try them with milk, I definitely want to try the cacao pack with milk as I think they’ll have that coco pop, chocolate milk effect going on! They do a large pack of each munchie too and also do a strawberry flavour in a large pack but not small, so I haven’t had chance to try that one yet.
- Another company I just know are amazing for you and love every time I try a new flavour are RawBite! My favourite bar so far is probably the coconut one as I’m a coconut freak and love anything with coconut in! If you follow me on instagram, you’ll see most of my morning bowls contain coconut flakes! I’ve tried coconut, raw cacao and vanilla berries and they’ve all been yummy. I’d probably rate them in that order. I love that they are a decent size, sometimes I find they can be on the small size and you don’t feel as though you are getting your moneys worth when you’re hungry again in half an hour but these leave me satisfied until my next meal. Again they only contain raw ingredients so they are suitable for vegans too. They are also gluten free and only use naturally occurring sugars. They also do a protein bar, spicy lime, peanut, cashew and apple cinnamon! I’ll be sure to add them to my next order.
- Another favourite company of mine is The Primal Pantry! Again I’ve loved every single bar I’ve tried of theirs and probably have these more regular as I can order them with the shop from Ocado. In fact I’m snacking on their coconut and macadamia bar as I write this for you guys. Again the coconut one is my favourite for obvious reasons.. but I also love their apple pecan, almond cashew and brazil cherry. I’m yet to try their hazelnut cacao but I’ll be sure to let you guys know on my Instagram account. They only contain 4-6 ingredients so you know exactly whats going in to your body and can be sure its all healthy. Also I love their cute packaging! Is that a moose on the front? I’m not sure but I love it either way!
- Now all things seedy PunchFoods SuperSeeds. They are 100% organic, gluten free and dairy free. They come in five awesome flavours! I’ve only tried coconut brownie so far and it actually tasted like brownies! Most of the time, health products claiming to taste like brownies don’t, so I was pretty surprised and impressed when this little tube of goodness did. I have Japanese tamari, chilli smoke and cinnamon spice waiting for me in my cupboard but they also make a maca caramel version which I can’t seem to find anywhere! You can buy them in large bags or these handy little tubes that remind of smarties. They also have lids so you can eat them throughout the day. However, I like to eat them at all once, whether its ontop of my porridge, nice cream, smoothie, yogurt or just poured straight into my mouth, in a sort of, not really lady like fashion. They have started to sell these in supermarkets, so keep an eye out next time you’re doing your big shop!
- Next up, these decently filled bags of crunchy, fruity goodness. I say decently because most snack bags only fill 1/4 and these fill about 2/3 of theirs! Vitasnack crunch bags are 100% fruit! Yep thats right, no added nothing! Such a yummy and nutritious pick me up! Great for getting in 1 of your 5 a day whilst on holiday! I like to eat mine on the go but I bet they’d be amazing sprinkled over smoothies too. I’ve tried banana, strawberry and apple and I couldn’t be more impressed! I’ve also got mango waiting for me in my stash of snacks! They also make a pumpkin, tomato and beetroot bag for those veggie holics out there. Me, not so much of a veggie chip gal but I think I’d be up for pumpkin because it’s sweet like sweet potato. Maybe I’d like the veggie chips in salads…
- Now last but not least, lets talk refreshing drinks. I drink like a whale when I’m in the hot heat all day, literally can’t cope if I don’t have a drink in my hand. I just dry up like a prune in seconds and again become a panicking paul and again not the nicest person.. so it’s best for me and others around me, that I carry a drink. When you’re drinking like a fish all day long, sometimes you get a bit bored of water and want something with a bit of flavour but not something full of sugar. So my friends, I like to buy a few bottles of pineapple VitaCoco in the airport! Or I guess you could pack a few in your suitcase but weight and all.. My favourite flavour is pineapple, I say favourite, its the only flavour I’ve tried but yeah it’s still technically my favourite! It actually tastes like a virgin pina colada!!! I can’t describe how much I love this little carton of happiness! It’s definitely the perfect holiday refreshing treat!!
So there you have it guys, my snacks I took to Spain with me! I’ll be sure to write up a new one if I go away this summer! If its for two weeks, they’ll be twice as much so lucky you! (and me, it means I can look back and re order next time!) I’m also going to write up my all time favourite snacks, my favourite chocolate bars and ice creams.
I hope you guys find this post useful, see you Thursday,